Park Today

If you want to post some images or talk about photography in general, this is the place!
Furball
Favorite Game: Overwatch!

Re: Park Today

Post by Furball » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 pm

I agree they're cool under certain circumstances, of which Smith is not one.
I have a friend that has a couple of little tiny drones that are really fun to fly around our camp sight.
nope.jpg
nope.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
=||MSI Gaming M7|i5-6600k|EVGA 980Ti SC+|16GB Corsair 3000Mz|512GB Samsung 950 Pro|WD 1TB|EVGA SuperNova 850 gold| Dell S2716DGR |=

w0rM
Site Admin
Xbox Live: w0rM 9
Playstation ID: w0nderw0rm

Post by w0rM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Furball wrote:I agree they're cool under certain circumstances, of which Smith is not one.
I have a friend that has a couple of little tiny drones that are really fun to fly around our camp sight.
nope.jpg
I respectfully disagree. So parks are only for people who want to hike and climb now?

I'm not sure why drones bother you or anyone else for that matter but last time I checked, parks are owned by the public. My taxes pay for them the same as yours. What if I think climb and hiking is annoying? Are we going to ban that too?

This attitude that if I like it's okay but if I don't it should be banned is exactly what's wrong with this country.
~w0rM

GAMER PC
|i7 6700k @ 4.7 GHz|MSI Gaming M5|Asus GTX 980 OC|16GB Corsair Vengence|Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD|Crucial 256GB SSD|WD Black 1TB|WD Black 5TB|Dell 34" Ultrawide|

GAME SYSTEMS
|Xbox One|PS4|Xbox 360|PS3|Switch|3DS XL|Wii|

w0rM
Site Admin

Post by w0rM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Furball wrote:but when drones were new and the Park was trying to figure out what the rules would be, these guys would fly their shit up and down the walls buzzing climbers and it was NOT cool.
Then your problem is with people who endanger climbers, not with drone but by all means, lets ban the activity for everyone. Eventually we'll ban enough stuff to make everyone safe all the time. The last thing we should do is address the actual threat.

One last thing and then I'm done.
Furball wrote:Whenever there's a drone flying around it's my opinion that there's exactly one person thinks it's cool, and that's the guy flying the thing.
You could make this statement about 95% of the things people do for entertainment. If it wasn't we could all just sit around watching one guy do what we like. People DO for entertainment. Watching someone else "DO" is rarely cool.

That said, I'm with Psych so that's 3 people who think it's cool to watch a drone flying.
~w0rM

GAMER PC
|i7 6700k @ 4.7 GHz|MSI Gaming M5|Asus GTX 980 OC|16GB Corsair Vengence|Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD|Crucial 256GB SSD|WD Black 1TB|WD Black 5TB|Dell 34" Ultrawide|

GAME SYSTEMS

Furball

Post by Furball » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:09 pm

You're not allowed to play loud music at the park. You're also not allowed to smoke at the park. You can not BASE jump at Smith. You get a ticket if your dog is off-leash. There is no shooting in the park. These rules are not uncommon for any place I've visited, be it Red Rocks, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Zion, Indian Creek, etc.

There is a mating pair of Bald Eagles that live in the park, do you think they would live here if they were constantly being screwed with by drones, or if we had a shooting range down there, or speed boat races on the river?

The parking fees taken in here sustain Smith Rocks and half the other state parks in Oregon. Almost all trail work at Smith is done by volunteers, of which I am one.

Can't we have beautiful places where people can just go and get away from motorized vehicles and loud music and quietly experience nature under their own power?
=||MSI Gaming M7|i5-6600k|EVGA 980Ti SC+|16GB Corsair 3000Mz|512GB Samsung 950 Pro|WD 1TB|EVGA SuperNova 850 gold| Dell S2716DGR |=

Furball

Post by Furball » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:16 pm

w0rM wrote:People DO for entertainment. Watching someone else "DO" is rarely cool.
a drone pilot is a guy sitting on a rock watching climbers DO something

w0rM
Site Admin

Post by w0rM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Furball wrote:You're not allowed to play loud music at the park. You're also not allowed to smoke at the park. You can not BASE jump at Smith. You get a ticket if your dog is off-leash. There is no shooting in the park. These rules are not uncommon for any place I've visited, be it Red Rocks, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Zion, Indian Creek, etc.

There is a mating pair of Bald Eagles that live in the park, do you think they would live here if they were constantly being screwed with by drones, or if we had a shooting range down there, or speed boat races on the river?

The parking fees taken in here sustain Smith Rocks and half the other state parks in Oregon. Almost all trail work at Smith is done by volunteers, of which I am one.

Can't we have beautiful places where people can just go and get away from motorized vehicles and loud music and quietly experience nature under their own power?
So your argument is, it's like that in other places and applies to other completely unrelated things so that makes it okay. How is smoking or shooting guns anything remotely like flying a drone? BASE jumping is illegal almost everywhere. And thank god there's someone to save us from unleashed dogs.

Can I not have a beautiful place where I can use a drone to take video as long as I'm not invading someone else's space or disturbing a natural process like mating eagles?

Maybe you shouldn't be rock climbing if you care about the beautiful space so much?

I guess it's only hurting the beautiful space if you don't like it.
~w0rM

GAMER PC

GAME SYSTEMS

Furball

Post by Furball » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I honestly don't know or care where you can fly them (as long as it's not around me). I assume you would look into it if you were interested in taking up that hobby. Do they not give you any instructions when you register them?

Although I'm personally in favor of the current rules, I'd like to remind you that my opinion was not asked by anyone when those decisions were made. If you think drones should be allowed somewhere, or that rock climbing should be banned somewhere else, I encourage you to take it up with your local I don't know who.

That was a good article, btw. Thank you for sharing that information.
I and most of the rest of climbers really really care about the area. We're aware of our footprint at the base of the climbs, damage to the walls, and disturbing wildlife. We are militant about not introducing invasive plant species and eradicating them when they're found. When the Golden Eagles pick a cliff to have their nest we close down the entire wall for the year. The park has 3/4 Million visitors per year (mostly hikers), so we take great efforts to keep the place as clean and natural as possible.
Last edited by Furball on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

w0rM
Site Admin

Post by w0rM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:53 pm

The last think I'd ever want to do it endanger anyone or damage a beautiful park. I'm sorry but this one bothered me a bit. I don't care for the post-Trump mentality that everything that isn't liked by a group of people is evil and wrong. I see posts about this kind of stuff all day on Facebook (which is why I'm on it a lot less lately). I can't always speak my mind there but here, I know I can without chasing away friends.

You don't get any official instruction with a drone but you do have to register them to be able to fly them legally.

Personally, I'm always in favor freedom and accountability over strict laws. When you try to legislate innocuous behavior, 9 times out of 10, you're not going to end up with the desired outcome.
~w0rM

GAMER PC

GAME SYSTEMS

Furball

Post by Furball » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I would like to add that it's perfectly legal to walk around naked at Smith as long as you arent making any sexual advances towards anyone. For instance, you can take your clothes off and hold them over your head and walk across the river, or you can climb naked (but please don't, I've seen it and the view is ghastly).

It's also legal to smoke weed at the park as long as you sort of hide it.

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:38 pm

I've been into R/C for a long long time. We used to have several R/C clubs on National Park land. No real problems ever. Until what? 2014? Sweeping legislation by a core group of assholes at the Park service who apparently over-reacted to no-doubt-legit complaints about a few bad drone pilots. So instead of tightening the regulations (RULES) regarding their use, just outlaw anything R/C. That's smart. Typical government. Everyone is offended by everything these days. So tiring.